Yams are a sweet African vegetable that is just like the sweet potatoes. Including yams in your daily diet is very helpful as it provides many nutrients to the body. You can cook it by roasting, baking or frying. Each way you choose to cook them has a unique taste and they add variety to meals normally served with potatoes or rice. The following are the benefits of including yams in your diet.
- Yams are a wonderful source of vitamin C, which protects the body from diseases and cell damage.
- Yams can help reduce body inflammation. Yams are particularly good for the athletes who suffer from arthritis and muscle pain.
- Yams are a rich source of fibre, which is necessary to relieve the discomfort of constipation. In addition to this, it stimulates the stomach activities and aids digestion.
- Physicians claim that yams are also good to help people lose weight by reducing the absorption of food by the cells.
- Yams also provide vitamin B to the body, which regulates the heart functions and provides energy to perform actions. If you are feeling tired or depressed, yams will help you to keep your mind fresh, healthy, and active.
- Yams are a good source of potassium, which controls blood pressure.